Arboretum Overview (2014 Curriculum)
At Arboretum Primary School, we believe that everybody needs to be able to communicate – it is a basic universal skill that all children are entitled to learn and be taught well. Language and Literacy are central to our ability to understand, interpret, and communicate about the world and with each other. The ability to write with purpose, accuracy and clarity, drawing on a wide range of vocabulary is integral to success - not just in education, but in the workplace and adult life. The long-term benefits of mastering basic English skills are immeasurable. We believe that all children, in all year groups, should have access to high quality texts; enabling them to experience the intrinsic joy that reading can bring, as well as developing a knowledge and understanding of the world around them. We believe that reading is the key to all other skills and is at the heart of becoming a well-rounded individual.
The overarching aim for English in the National Curriculum is to promote high standards of language and literacy by equipping pupils with a strong command of the spoken and written word, and to develop their love of literature through widespread reading for enjoyment. The national curriculum for English aims to ensure that all pupils at Arboretum Primary School will leave Year 6:
- read easily, fluently and with good understanding
- develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information
- acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas
- are competent in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate.
Recommended Reading at Home:All ages: https://home.oxfordowl.co.uk/
Key Stage 1 Phonics Screening: